Friday, January 27, 2006

What Would You Do with $260

How interesting. Ths past week, while I was working on today's Tax Watch column, I put out a request to all the aggressive hungry public relations people, authors, universities, and experts, asking, "What Your Best Use of $260 per Year?" (I didn't tell them that this was in lieu of spending $5 per week on the lottery.

The results were bleak, boring and uncreative. Though the article turned out very well.

I also asked about whole life insurance policies and annuities. Not a nibble. And it's impossible to get instant quotes online for life insurance. Though, I did find universal life policies worth $50,000, with costs of as little as $282 for a very healthy woman or $340 for similarly healthy man.

Hey, maybe you can come up with better ideas, yes?

I invite your ideas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds similar to "what to do with that tax refund?"

I tell people to do something that they'd want to do, but never really found the money to do it.

Like take a class.

Or learn to paint.

Or brush up on a foreign language.

Or buy that rare first-edition book you've had your eye on.

These things won't lower your taxes, won't help you save for the future, and won't boost your insurance coverage. But it will enrich your life and help you do something YOU want to do. Which, I think, is what life is supposed to be about.

Oh, what I would ACTUALLY really and truly spend my $260 on? Community college classes for my brother. At $22 per college credit, this will buy him 3 classes (at 3 credits each) and a few books. It's a nice, and affordable, way to help someone out.

Anonymous said...

Put $5/week away, and at the end of 12 months, plan your vacation, that you would normally take, to Las Vegas or Laughlin Reno, Lake Taho, Atlantic City, etc. Go to the Blackjack table (you, of course, must know how to play the game), and when your $260 has turned into $286.00, leave the table and enjoy the rest of your vacation playing golf, sight seeing, skiing or whatever. You have made 10% profit on your $260 savings. If you lose, write it off or consider it part of your vacation expenses. isn't this a great idea????

Anonymous said...

$260?

I could buy a new digital camera. Prices have really come down, and if I shopped carefully, I could probably get a fairly nice one for that.

I could keep my old digital camera and get an iPod.

I could have a whole set of my preschoolers' fingerpaintings professionally framed during one of the half-off sales at Hobby Lobby.

I could buy my kids a new book every week for a year.

I could subscribe to the local newspaper, work the Sudoko puzzles, and give the rest of it to the Humane Society to reuse and recycle.

I could buy a new piece of software that would let me scan in pictures, convert them to embroidery files, and sew them on my existing Brother sewing machine.

I could buy a play kitchen that didn't come from consignment or a plastic playhouse for the backyard or a simple swingset.

I could pay for one of my kids' classes- Taekwondo, zoo classes, violin lessons, swim classes- for at least a semester.

I can think of at least 260 things I could do with $260...

TaxMama's TaxQuips Headlines